Sunday, June 6, 2010

Big Daddy's BBQ in Alaska - May 27, 2010

Thurs May 27, 2010

Got up and went to the Alaska Bird Observatory banding station before class this morning with Dave. They have been getting Redpolls and juncos, and I wanted to see those cranes in the field. The banding station is located on the back side of Creamer Field, which formerly was known as the Creamer Dairy.



I met Sue, their primary bander, and Rebecca Young who is doing some DNA telomere work on Thick-billed Murres and Kittywakes. ABO also puts up double and triple high nets using a system very similar to the one Bobby Brown uses for catching bats in Ohio. We definitely need to get this set up for home! Very cool!

Today was our last day of teaching for the week. I feel so spoiled teaching for 2 hrs a day, 4 days a week. How sweet is that? We ran over to Fred Myers (which is our favorite store now) and got a couple of bird feeders and bird seed, and Dave hung them outside our living room window. We have this nice little clump of birch, aspen and white spruce behind our apartment that give you that “living in the woods” feeling. I hope we can see some birds at the feeders! I’m still fascinated with the redpolls.



Michelle surprised me and brought over her bike this evening! I am so excited to go for a bike ride! I haven’t exercised on a regular basis since December, and after 10 days in the truck and 2 weeks of just teaching, I feel like a slug!
Sammy sent me a text giving me a list of restaurants in Fairbanks that she had seen on a recent episode of the Food Network’s, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. One of the places listed is called Big Daddy’s BBQ, so we headed over there for dinner.



The place is great! Old school diner tables and chairs, pig and Chicago sport memorabilia adorns the ceiling and walls. Multicolored Christmas lights are strung across the ceiling giving the place a festive quality year round.



I fell in love with the pink flying pig hanging from the ceiling! Felt like Cincinnati. Plus, Big Daddy’s a Chicago fan! You could order an Italian Beef sandwich! We asked the waitress what she recommended and took her advice. I ordered the Arkansas Baby Back Ribs (half order) and Dave ordered the Big Daddy sampler – with Shiner Bock beer!



I love Shiner Bock! The ribs were delicious! Good choice, Sammy girl!

No comments: